home about tutorials contact advertise subscribe

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Pineapple Fried Rice

I used to be in love with this one baking blog.  Her treats were amazing!  Plus, they were all really do-able.  You know what I mean?  Nothing too weird or too complicated.  Simple and delicious.

Then my favorite baking blog decided to go Vegan, change the blog name, and make food instead of just treats.  I was a little bummed, but I tried one of her new recipes and I LOVED it!

Vegan Pineapple Fried Rice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 red pepper, diced
3 cups sweet brown rice, cooked
3 tablespoons vegetable broth
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/4 cup peas, frozen
1 cup fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
1/2 cup toasted coconut
1 cup roasted & salted cashews
1/2 cup scallions
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped

First, heat up the oil in a wok.  Then add the garlic and red pepper and cook for a few minutes until softened.  Then add the rice, vegetable broth, soy sauce and curry powder and stir it until all combined.  It should start to sizzle and pop and smell delicious!  Then turn off the heat and add the rest of the ingredients and stir until heated throughout. 

*I actually left out the coconut because I thought it had enough going on without it, but that's up to you.
*I also used a little less cilantro and a little more vegetable broth too.
*Check out Cheeky Kitchen Blog for more details and pictures.
I have always steered clear of fried rice because of the "fried" in the title.  I decided to try it after reading the recipe because there really isn't that much oil.  I loved it, my husband loved it, and my kids loved it.  I can't wait to make it for my sometimes-vegan-mom and my all-the-time-vegetarian-sometimes-vegan-little-sister.

Don't let the "vegan" scare you off though.  This recipe is delicious and super-easy.  One hint that she gives on her blog is to have rice pre-made so that you can toss together easy dinners like this.  I made the rice in morning and then put it in the fridge.  At dinner time, I just tossed everything together and it was ready to go.

Try it out.  You'll love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment