home about tutorials contact advertise subscribe

Friday, December 23, 2011

"My Gift" Ornament - Tutorial

I first saw this idea on A Lemon Squeezy Home and LOVED it!  I thought it was so creative, and such a fun way to teach kids to give back.  They are Christmas ornaments with a picture of Baby Jesus on one side and chalkboard on the other.  The kids can write what their gift to Baby Jesus will be on the back of the ornament.
Here's how to get started:

First, I had my husband cut and sand six, 4 X 4 inch, pieces of plywood.
Then I painted all of them, on both sides, with chalkboard paint.
You could also used chalkboard spray paint.
Next, I used Mod-Podge to glue and seal a picture of Baby Jesus on to the ornament.
I used several coats because I want this to last year after year...
(I bought the pictures at Seagull Book Store.  They were only 47 cents each.  They were a little hard to find this late in the season, so plan B was to just cut some pictures out of a magazine or ad).
Once it was dry, I flipped it over and stenciled each of the kids' names on an ornament.
I also had my husband drill holes in the sides (for attaching the string).
Last, I tied some twine on the top to hang it by.
I really love how they turned out!
Every year when we get out our Christmas ornaments, I'm going to have my kids write what their "gift" to Baby Jesus will be and we will hang it up on the tree as a daily reminder.
I hope everyone has a Very Merry Christmas this weekend!
See you next week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment