home about tutorials contact advertise subscribe

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

More Thanksgiving Ideas

Last year we had my husband's family over for Thanksgiving.
 Before I tell you about the decorations, let me explain our situation:
Nate and I live in a two-bedroom townhouse with three children.
There is barely enough room for us...much less company.

When it was proposed that we host Thanksgiving at our house, I was a little overwhelmed.
We had to move the furniture out of our family room to accommodate the tables and chairs that we had to rent.  It was a very tight squeeze.
I was responsible for all of the food, and my sister-in-law, Brooks, offered to bring all of the decorations and place settings.

When she showed up with the decorations, I was in awe...
It was beautiful beyond anything I could have come up with 
and I wanted to share her ideas with all of you because they are inspiring...



Each place setting was marked with a photo place card.
The kids had their own table, and their plates were those hard plastic plates that look like glass, but won't break if they are dropped.  Genius.  Because of course, a few were dropped.
Each table had a white table cloth with an organza overlay.
She brought all of her own dishes and silverware and place settings from Las Vegas.
Brooks and I both agree that Thanksgiving is a formal holiday, and we wanted to avoid paper products.  She even included on the invitations "smart casual dress requested" so that everyone would come prepared for a beautiful dinner.
For the center pieces, she cut the top off of a foam pumpkin.
She put the brown glitter candle, tied with a green ribbon, in the pumpkin.
Each pumpkin sat on a wreath of twigs and berries.
Each place setting had a chocolate truffle with a Thanksgiving quote.
She put a different quote on every single truffle.
After dinner we all read our quotes to each other.
The kids loved it because it was like getting a fortune cookie :)


Isn't she amazing?
I hope her creativity inspired you as much as it inspired me.
Thanks Brooks!

3 comments:

  1. Very beautiful indeed. I love the photo placecards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a beautiful diner! This encouraged me to look past our tiny apartment and enjoy the occassion :). Found you on tip junkie. Happy Thanksgiving!

    http://ineverylittlemoment.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! Absolutely beautiful and very inspiring, thanks for sharing! That is so special.

    ReplyDelete