Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The boutique

The last few weeks have been crazy.
I ran a deal with Groopdealz and had to work around the clock to get it finished.
I was planning on attending this boutique with my friend Andi, so as soon as Groopdealz was done, I had to work around the clock to get enough inventory to show at the boutique.

So, Nate (my awesome husband) and I stayed up til 2 or 3 in the morning every night trying to get a good selection and trying to make some new products to debut.
The night before, I stayed up til 2 and Nate said that he would just finish packing up and then come to bed.  He stayed up til 5 getting things ready.  (My friend Andi never even went to bed the night before).

The morning of, Andi picked me up at 7:30.
We were supposed to set up the day before, but it was dumping buckets of rain outside.

Andi brought several of her beautiful antiques to display, and our booth turned out beautiful.  Really beautiful.
We rushed to get it set up on time and we made it.
By 9 a.m. we were ready to go.
Then we waited.
And waited.
And waited.

A few people wandered through, but no one really bought anything.
I took a quick break to run over to my boys' soccer game and while I was gone I sold a "Keep Calm and Sew On" sign.  Two ladies wanted it, and had I made more than one, I would have sold both.  But I only had one.

When I came back, we still waited.
A few more people wandered through our booth, but it was mostly other vendors checking out what else was there.

As it got later, we really got discouraged.
The BYU vs. UofU game was on that night and traffic was going to be horrible.
Most people stay home the night of the rivalry game.
After weeks of sleepless nights and endless work, and a full day of being at the boutique (plus the set up and clean up), I sold 2 signs and Andi sold a handful of bags.

That's it.
I was really sad.  Exhausted and sad.
Some of the vendors didn't sell anything at all.
It was a very long and very slow day for everyone.

The one good thing that came of it is that it forced me to get going on my new fall collection.  I have some great ideas, but if it wasn't for the deadline from the boutique, I wouldn't have finished it yet.  I still have a couple of things left to go, but I'm almost there.
I'll be launching it in the next few days, so keep checking it...
I can't wait to show it off :)


  1. Oh no that's so disappointing! I'm sure if it was busier you would have sold tons of stuff. Awesome that you are looking forward to start your new collection. Can't wait to see it!

  2. Craft shows are tough. I've done a few and it was a lot of sitting around and waiting. I'm hoping using Etsy will help me sell things without having to sit at the craft fairs, but we'll see!