home about tutorials contact advertise subscribe

Monday, July 9, 2012

Charming

I'll admit it...I get easily charmed.
My kids can get out of all kinds of trouble, if they are charming.

Saxon lately, has been having a ton of meltdowns.
I think that part of it is that we are so busy this summer, and he is going to bed too late.
I think he's just tired a lot.
But in little kids:  tired=emotional=MELTDOWN.
Or maybe I'm just missing the mark with parenting him.
I think that's part of it too.
He has such a strong personality that I don't know what to do with him sometimes.

Yesterday, Nate had to run to Walmart to get more milk for Dalton.
While he was gone, Saxon had a freak-out because he wanted the book that Bridger had.
So he tantrumed, and then hit me in the face with a couch pillow.
I was so mad!
More mad than I needed to be really, but it totally caught me off guard and I reacted.
I dragged him off to my room (Dalton was sleeping in the boys' room)
and told him:
-that he was grounded forever
-he had a million consequences
-he was never allowed to do anything fun again
-etc.

To which he reponded:
-that he hated me
-I'm the ugliest mom ever
-he will never forgive me
-he doesn't even love me
-etc.

Super.
That didn't go well at all.

I went back to the living room feeling mad, hurt, and guilty because I just can't seem to get it right with this kid!

A few minutes later my phone rings.
It says "Nate".
Good, I wanted to tell him about it.

I said "Hello?"
A brief silence, and then from the other line, I hear a little voice start singing:

"The world is a RAINBOW!
With many different colors,
Yellow black and white and brown,
You see them all around.
Now you be you,
And I'll be me,
That's the way we are meant to be.
The world is a mixing cup,
Just look what happens when you stir it up!
The world is a RAINBOW!!!

I was laughing so hard!
Nate had left his phone in our room, and Saxon called me to win me over with a song.
It totally worked too.
I told him that I loved him and that I was sorry.
He told me that he loved me and that he was sorry.
I love that kid!

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about strong personalities. My son is the same way and it's hard not to let anger and frustration get the best of you at times.
    That is so cute that he sang to you! Kids really do know how to charm us.

    ReplyDelete