home about tutorials contact advertise subscribe

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

How to cook an artichoke

Hi Everyone!  It's been so long since I posted...I went out of town for the weekend and then didn't get this post ready in time.  So, here it is now.  And, I can't wait to tell you about my weekend.  More on that later...

Last week I decided to make artichokes for my family for dinner and I had to google direction for how to do it!  I've made artichoke before and I grew up eating it too.  But I don't make it very often and every time, I forget how long to cook it, etc.

I thought I'd share the directions with you too :)

First trip the tip off of the artichoke.  Then, using kitchen shears, trip off the thorn on each of the outer leaves.  Also, trip the stem a little.

Then fill a pot with at least 3 inches of water.
Here's where you can be creative...you get to season your cooking water.
Some suggestions that I found were:
lemon, fresh herbs, butter, salt, garlic, etc.
I added lemon, garlic, and fresh rosemary from my herb garden.

Finally, just put on the lid and boil 25-45 minutes.
I always do 45 minutes because I want it to be nice and soft all the way through.
While it's cooking, mix up your favorite artichoke sauce.
I use mayo and my husband likes butter.
But, I have heard of adding lemon to mayo or balsamic to mayo to make your own sauce.
Yum!
After 45 minutes, just take it out and eat it.
But be careful...it's hot!
Enjoy!

1 comment: