home about tutorials contact advertise subscribe

Friday, April 6, 2012

How to Boil an Egg

Every year when we dye Easter Eggs, I have to google "how to boil an egg".
I can never remember the perfect way to do it and I usually end up boiling them for too long and then the yolk turns gray.  I'm terrified of not boiling them long enough and having the yolk still runny.

So, if anyone else has the same problem as I do, this is how it's done.

First, let your eggs sit out for about 20 minutes to let them come to room temperature.
Then, place them in a single layer in a pot of cold water, and put it on the stove.
Keep them over high heat until it reaches a rolling boil.
Then, put the lid on and turn off the heat.
 Next, you just let your eggs rest in the hot water while they cook.
The site recommended 17 minutes for large eggs and 20 for jumbo.
My eggs were large, but I did 20 just to be safe :)
When the time is up, rinse them in cool water to stop the cooking process.
Otherwise they will keep cooking inside the shell.
Finally, they are ready to be decorated!
We always buy the cheapest pack of egg dye and it works great!
This is how our eggs looked for the picture.
As soon as I was done, the kids covered them in spiderman stickers!
They look awesome!

1 comment:

  1. I had to call my mom last night and ask her how to boil an egg!

    ReplyDelete