home about tutorials contact advertise subscribe

Thursday, March 8, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Ideas

I'm so excited for St. Patrick's Day!  I love having a reason to celebrate!
My kids have been busy trying to design a "leprechaun trap" to see if they can catch one.

This is what we're doing for St. Patrick's Day:

I saw this cake idea on pinterest and thought it was genius!
It's a leprechaun trap cake.  You cover the whole in the middle with pretzel sticks and then put gold coins on top.  When the leprechauns climb up to get the gold coins, they will fall through into the whole in the center of the cake.  The cake inside is rainbow.
There's a great tutorial for how to make it if you click on the link.
We are definitely making this the night before St. Patrick's Day!
(via Not Martha)

On the morning of St. Patrick's Day we will put on our new St. Patrick's Day socks (all from the dollar spot at Target) and we make sure to wear green so we don't get pinched :)

Since the leprechauns will turn our milk green in the middle of the night, we will have green milk with our Lucky Charms.
(via Thoughtfully Simple)

I always make our traditional "corned beef and cabbage" meal for St. Patrick's Day dinner.  My mom always made it when I was growing up, and now I love making it for my kids.  Lucky for us, it's also incredibly simple.  I just buy a packaged beef brisket from Costco or the grocery store.  It comes with directions and a seasoning package.  I just put in in the crockpot with the seasoning and a little bit of water.  Then I put carrots and potatoes on top and let it all cook together for at least 8 hours on low.  An hour before, I will chop the cabbage into big chunks and add that on top.  It doesn't take very long for the cabbage to cook and you don't want it to get soggy.
I don't even like beef, but I make it every year because I love just eating the veggies.  My husband and kids love the beef because I only make beef on St. Patrick's Day :)
(via babble)

I just found this cute new recipe online, but I'm going to try it.
Pot of Gold Jello...too cute!

(via Family Fun)

I can't wait!
What are your favorite St. Patrick's Day traditions?

2 comments:

  1. I do NOTHING for st patty's ...sad huh? Growing up we didn't eaither...maybe green milk but that was it. I need to be better, but when my kids aren't here it's not as fun!

    ReplyDelete