home about tutorials contact advertise subscribe

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Legacy of the Lakehouse

Just before I was born, my Grandpa bought property at Lake Holiday in Illinois.
(Back then, we all lived in Chicago).
My mom used to take me camping there when I was a baby.
A few years later, the family all worked together and built a house.
A few years later, my family moved to California.
We were still able to go visit occasionally because we could stay at the lake.
When I was in college, my roommate came with me to spend a week at the lake.

Now that I have children of my own, I take them to the lake.
It's my tie to Chicago.

When Saxon was 10 month old, my Dad took him on his first knee-boarding trip...
It's the kind of place where you sit in the grass and eat watermelon all day...
Saxon is wearing the same life-jacket that we wore as kids :)
The kids all learn to fish at the lake.
Someone created the "you have to kiss your first fish" rule.
Saxon did.
He didn't even hesitate as he smooched his fish :)






About 6 months ago, I decided to paint a family tree for my Grandparents, and use the lake as the setting.  I intended it to be for their birthdays in April, but it was a lot more work than I had anticipated.
My Grandma (my mom's mom) is a professional artist, so I recruited her help when I first thought of the idea...
And this is the finished product:
I am very happy with it.
I found the perfect frame at Hobby Lobby.
The painting has a lot going on, and the frame (unfinished, weathered wood) has nothing going on.  It's the perfect contrast.
Now that it is finished, I am so excited to give it to them.
I called my Dad to tell him that it's ready.
He said "Good, because Grandpa just sold the lake".
What?
We are all heartbroken!
Now, I guess it will serve as a memory of the place that has come to mean so much to so many generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment