home about tutorials contact advertise subscribe

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Let me count the ways (tortellini)

I love finding quick dinner ideas that can be done a variety of ways.
There are very few recipes that can satisfy everyone at my table at once.

So, here's what we cooked up last night:
Costco Romano Cheese
Costco 7 Cheese Tortellini
Canned Tomatoes from my garden last summer
Tuscan Herb Olive Oil and Fig Balsamic Vinegar
I started with my basic tomato/basil sauce
-Saute 2 cloves of diced garlic in Tuscan Herb Olive Oil
-Add 1 jar canned tomatoes (mostly drained)
-1 Tbsp. of fresh basil (frozen from my garden last year)
-sprinkle of sea salt
Ready for a fun new addition to the recipe:
-Fig balsamic vinegar
The Mountain Town Olive Oil people told me to try it to cut down on the acidity.
I liked it!  It added a fun new flavor to a traditional sauce while still keeping it simple.

While the sauce simmered, I boiled the pasta and grated the cheese.

And this is what we did:

1.  Nate got tortellini drizzled with Tuscan Herb Olive Oil and Fig Balsamic Vinegar, with fresh cracked pepper and sea salt, topped with freshly grated Romano cheese.
2.  I picked tortellini with tomato/basil sauce and freshly grated Romano.
3.  Saxon got tortellini drizzled with Tuscan Herb Olive Oil and LOTS of Romano.  Kind of like a fancy mac & cheese :)
4.  This summer, I'm going to try a tortellini pasta salad with tortellini, fresh mozzarella, sliced black olives, garbanzo beans, possibly artichoke hearts, all drizzled in Tuscan Herb Olive Oil and Fig Balsamic.

Mmmm...I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment